Permits and Fees for Trekkers in Restricted Areas(RAPS) in Nepal

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Travelers are increasingly making their way to Nepal’s most remote regions thanks to the country’s booming tourist industry and rapid rise of niche tourism. It has mandated limited area trekking permits for all international tourists to control the detrimental effects of tourism in such areas. Except for Everest, Annapurna, and Dhaulagiri, all of the areas that border Tibet have been designated as protected or restricted areas by the Nepalese government. At least two people must be in your group in order to visit the restricted region because the number of tourists is regulated. Additionally, you need to purchase a permit from one of the nearby trekking firms and be accompanied by a certified guide or porter.

It was necessary to get Special Permits, sometimes known as Prohibited Areas Permits, in order to hike into these restricted areas (RAP). Only a recognized trekking company may receive these permits from the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu (only). Make sure to get in touch with a licensed trekking organization that is registered in Nepal if you’re interested in trekking in Nepal’s off-limits areas. Regardless of nationality, a person cannot be guaranteed to receive a restricted area permit unless they apply through a recognized trekking company in Nepal that is affiliated with various government offices.

Required Documents for Restricted Area Permits (RAPS)

Below are the required documents from all the trekkers coming to Nepal:

  • Name list of all trekkers
  • Copy of trekkers passport (must)
  • Trekking Itinerary of that particularly restricted areas
  • Copy of valid visa for Nepal visit covering numbers of required days for Restricted Area Treks
  • Guarantee letters of Trekking Agency
  • Trekkers’ agreement with the agency
  • Tax Clearance certificate of the Trekking Agency
  • All insurance documents of the trekkers (foreign nationals) and Nepali trekking staff accompanying the trekkers.
  • Trekking Agency license issued by ‘The Ministry of Tourism.
  • A license issued to Trekking Agency by The Nepal Rastra Bank to exchange foreign currency
  • Certificate of Permanent Account Number (PAN) of Trekking Agency
  • Voucher of Bank Payment related to fees of Restricted Area Permit

Upper Mustang RAP:

Required for Upper Mustang Trek and Driving Tours

  • USD 500 Per Person (for the first 10 days)
  • USD 50 Per Person/Per Day (beyond 10 days)

Manaslu Conservation Area:

Required for Manaslu Circuit Trek, Manaslu Tsum Valley Trek


  • USD 100 per person/week
  • USD 15 per person/day (beyond 1 week)


  • USD 75 per person/week
  • USD 10 per person/day (Beyond 1 week)

Lower Dolpa RAP:

  • USD 20 per person/week
  • USD 5 per person/day (beyond 1 week)

Upper Dopla RAP:

Required for:  Upper Dolpo trek, Kang La Pass trek

  • USD 500 per person (for the first 10 days)
  • USD 50 per person/day (beyond 10 days)

Taplejung RAP:

Traveling in Phantanglung, Mikwakhola, and Sirijunga rural municipalities.

  • US$ 20 per person per week (for first four weeks then USD 25 per person per week from 5th week onward)

Tsum Valley RAP:

Required for Tsum Valley Trek, Manaslu Tsum Valley Trek


  • US$ 40 per person per week (additional USD 7 per person per day from 8th day)

December – August:

  • US$ 30 per person per week (addtional USD 7 per person per day from 8th day)

Gosaikunda Area RAP:

Gosainkunda Lake trek, Langtang Gosainkunda Helambu Trek

  • US$ 20 per person per week.

Nar and Phu (Manang) RAP:

Required for Nar Phu Valley Trek, Kang La pass trek


  • USD 100 per person/week
  • USD 15 per person/day (Beyond 1 week)


  • USD 75 per person/week
  • USD 15 per person/day

Humla Rural Municipality RAP:

Required for: Simikot Limi Valley Trek

  • US$ 50 for the first 7 days per person and US$ 10 per extra day per person.

Khumbu Pasang Lahmu Rural Municipality RAP:

Makalu Barun NP trek, Great Himalayan Trail

  • USD 20 per person for 4 weeks
  • USD 25 per person beyond 4 weeks

Dolakha RAP:

Traveling in GauriSankhar and Bighu rural municipalities, Ruby Valley trek

  • USD 20 per person/week

Darchula RAP:  

Required for Api Nampa Trek, Vyas Rural Municipality

  • USD 90 per person/week
  • USD 15 per person/ day (beyond 1 week)

Sankhuwasabha RAP:

Required for: Makalu Base Camp trek, Barun Valley Trek

  • USD 20 per person/week (for the first 4 weeks)
  • USD 25 per person/week (beyond 4 weeks)

Bajhang RAP

Required for  Saipal Rural Municipality

  • USD 90 per person/week for the first week
  • USD 15 per person/day (beyond 1 week)

Mugu RAP:  

Required for Exploring Mugumakarmarong Rural Municipality

  • USD 100 per person/week
  • USD 15 per person/day (beyond 1 week)

Trekkers in Restricted Areas: Dos and Don’ts:

  • Trekkers are expected to respect local tradition, culture, and culture.
  • It is strictly prohibited for lone trekkers to enter restricted regions; groups of at least two trekkers must trek there.
  • While trekking, Restricted Areas Permits (RIP) must be carried.
  • Trekkers should have a certified trekking guide and/or porter with them.
  • Travel insurance for accidents is required for both trekkers and accompanying Nepali workers.
  • Trekkers are not permitted to deviate from or alter the constrained hiking route that was disclosed while acquiring a Restricted Areas Permit.
  • The instructions given by authorized personnel in the restricted zones must be followed by trekkers.

Note: Please note that Restricted Area Permit (RAP) is mandatory for all the foreign Travelers coming to Nepal to trek in restricted Areas and it can only be obtained from the Immigration Department of Nepal. 

Feel Free To Contact Us.

Open WhatsApp
💬 Need help?
Hello 👋
How can i help you?