One of the highest populated areas in the globe is the Upper Dolpo to Mustang Trek trail. It is still a stronghold of the antiquated Bon-Po religion, far from the bustle of modernization. Buddhism didn’t start to take hold in Tibet until much later. Tibetan culture has a big impact on Dolpo. In addition to culture, it is home to a wide range of fauna that is absent from the lower Himalayas. Due to the yearly snowfall, it is isolated from the rest of Nepal. The most fascinating aspect of this trek is that it allows us to see the historical cultural differences between individuals from various locations. Dolpo, a high mountain town, is home to nomads who long ago came to the area. Similar to how the Lopas of Mustang also moved from Tibet practically simultaneously. Even still, there is an enormous civilizational difference between the inhabitants of these two locations today and in the past; this is an intriguing finding.
Greater Dolpo Trekking through Upper Mustang is an adventure and a total immersion in the Bon and Buddhist homeland. The renowned magician “Guru Rinpoche” has blessed Upper Dolpo and Upper Mustang, and Tibetan Buddhism and Bon have been flourishing for many years. Previously, it was governed by the Ngari kingdom, and today it shares a border with the Tibetan Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China. These treks are lovely fusions of the Upper Mustang and Upper Dolpo treks.
The trek begins in Nepalgunj and concludes in the Annapurna region in Jomsom. No animals are allowed to travel this difficult and lengthy journey path. The only species to have been able to travel through this area is humans. Despite its challenges, this is the greatest trek path to discover Nepal’s highlands and experience the legacy of the Tibetan people. The most practical approach to suit your needs for an adventurous trip is with the Upper Dolpo to Upper Mustang Trek Package. Join us on this thrilling adventure, and we promise to give you the greatest possible travel experience.
Reason To Choose Dolpo to Mustang Trek
The Dolpo to Mustang Trek with Five High Passes is an epic adventure that takes you through the remote and rugged landscapes of the Dolpo and Mustang regions of Nepal. The trek is a challenging one that involves crossing five high mountain passes, offering stunning views of the Himalayas, as well as the chance to experience the unique culture and traditions of the people living in this remote part of Nepal. Here is an overview of the trek and what you can expect:
- Trekking Route: The Dolpo to Mustang Trek with Five High Passes typically takes around 26 to 28 days to complete and covers a distance of approximately 300 kilometers. The trek starts with a flight to Juphal in the Dolpo region, followed by several days of trekking through remote valleys and ancient villages, before crossing over the five high passes and finishing in the Mustang region.
- High Mountain Passes: The trek involves crossing five high mountain passes, including Numa La (5,360m), Baga La (5,070m), Kang La (5,240m), Saribung La (6,042m), and Teri La (5,595m). Each pass offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains, including Dhaulagiri, Annapurna, and Mustang Himal.
- Stunning Landscapes: The trek takes you through a variety of landscapes, including remote valleys, pristine alpine lakes, and high-altitude deserts. You will also get to see ancient monasteries, traditional Tibetan-style villages, and the unique culture of the people living in this remote part of Nepal.
- Challenging Terrain: The Dolpo to Mustang Trek with Five High Passes is a challenging trek that requires a high level of physical fitness and some previous trekking experience. The trek involves steep ascents and descents, as well as several days of trekking at high altitude. However, the stunning views and remote landscapes make it a truly rewarding adventure.
- Cultural Experience: The trek takes you through the Dolpo and Mustang regions, where you can experience the unique culture and traditions of the people living in this remote part of Nepal. You can visit ancient monasteries, witness traditional festivals and learn about the traditional lifestyles of these ethnic communities.
- Wildlife: The trek takes you through the Shey Phoksundo National Park and the Annapurna Conservation Area, which are home to a wide variety of flora and fauna, including the endangered snow leopard, blue sheep, and musk deer.
- Off the beaten path: The Dolpo to Mustang Trek is a remote and less-traveled trek, which means you can experience the natural beauty of the Himalayas without the crowds of more popular trekking routes.
- Spiritual Significance: The trek offers an opportunity to explore the spiritual significance of the region as you visit the ancient monasteries and meet the monks and nuns who call these remote parts of the Himalayas their home.
- Adventure of a Lifetime: The Dolpo to Mustang Trek is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure that offers a unique blend of natural beauty, culture, adventure, and spiritual significance. It is an opportunity to challenge yourself, push your limits and experience the wonders of the Himalayas in a way few people ever do.
Overall, the Dolpo to Mustang Trek with Five High Passes is an incredible adventure that offers stunning views, unique culture, and remote landscapes. It is a trek that is suitable for experienced trekkers who are up for the challenge of crossing high mountain passes and navigating rugged terrain. It is a journey that will stay with you for a lifetime.
Dolpo to Mustang trek: Permits
The trek from Upper Dolpo to Upper Mustang in Nepal connects these two remote, holy regions. Both routes are under the supervision of the government of Nepal and are considered a restricted area that calls for special access. In this location, solitary trekking is not permitted. In order to apply for a permit, travelers must work with a reputable travel company Nepal. The cost of an Upper Mustang trekking permit is $500, and the cost of an Upper Dolpa permit is $500 per person for a minimum stay of 10 days.
Dolpo to Mustang Trek: Route
First, to get to Juphal, the expedition starts with an incredible flight over the Himalayas. The Suligad River Gorge and Lake Phoksundo are both accessible from here. To go to the revered Shey Gompa and the “Crystal Mountain,” you must travel through our first pass, which is 5000 meters above sea level. To go to Saldang, you next have to cross another pass. You will have a few days to yourself to explore and acclimate while here. You can also learn about the way of life of Tibetans who would be engaged in the autumn harvesting. From here, we proceed to the Khoma, Shimen, and Tinkyu districts of the Pansang Valley, which is further away. These isolated hamlets and towns are connected by paths and mountain passes that are rich in cultural history. This is a sight that shouldn’t be missed. The Bhotiya Culture, a group of ethnically and linguistically Tibetan people who live in the trans-Himalayan region, is also present in the Upper Dolpo region, which is itself a unique characteristic of the area. Thakali cultural relics can be found in Mustang. There are many historic monasteries, Shey Gompa being one of them. Dolpo and Mustang are very distinct from one another in terms of their cultures, way of life, and level of religious observance even though they appear to be very similar.
A rough mountainous area, the Upper Dolpo to Mustang Trek is dotted with a number of fortified communities, Dzongs, or monasteries. You can even witness revered mountains, high passes, and crystal-clear lakes. Overall, the Upper Dolpo to Mustang Trek is thrilling and challenging. Each trekker will have lasting memories of the spectacular route across the high mountain passes and down to Mustang.
Dolpo to Mustang Trek: Difficulty & Best Time
The trek from Upper Dolpo to Upper Mustang is difficult since it requires crossing multiple high passes. Anyone who is physically fit can complete this journey, however it is best for experienced hikers. To make the Upper Dolpo to Upper Mustang trip simpler, we advise beginning trekkers to perform physical exercise, daily walking, aerobic exercise, and yoga.
Dolpo journey gives dramatic views of the surrounding environment, valleys, and wilderness and travels to two isolated regions in the lower and upper parts of the dolpa. Monsoon season is the best time to travel from Upper Dolpo to Upper Mustang, while it is possible to go from April to October. Getting the trekking map for this route is challenging.
It is a typical challenge that hikers encounter at higher elevations. Breathing difficulties, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever, and headache are all symptoms of low oxygen levels in the environment. If you get acute mountain sickness, get medical attention right away and stop climbing. The greatest thing you can do to prevent altitude sickness is to go to a lower level and acclimatize. It becomes simpler to deal with them if your body has had time to adjust to the essential alterations. In the Himalayas, the weather can change quickly. The weather and temperature drastically change once you begin to ascend. In these situations, acclimatization is essential.
Trekking Gears or Equipment
Keep in mind that you will need to walk for 6-7 hours every day throughout the trek, so if this is your first time doing this kind of hiking, it is advised that you receive some training prior. It’s possible that not everyone would enjoy this excursion. Put together all the clothing and supplies you might require for the hike. Don’t forget about the little necessities, including boots and a hiking cane. Although prior trekking experience is helpful for this hike, it’s okay if you don’t have any—you can always prepare yourself.